alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content
Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies

We often get enquiries regarding the welfare of animals and in particular issues relating to dog fouling, stray dogs and dogs left in vehicles. Here’s all the advice you need to help you report these issues. 

Dog fouling

The local council are responsible for keeping public areas like parks, playgrounds and pavements clear of dog foul. If you come across dog mess in any of these areas then please report this to your local council.

  • Darlington Borough Council 
    Call 01325 406999 or visit their website
    If you want to report dog fouling for clearance please email or call 01325 405111.
  • Durham County Council
    Report it online via their website.
    You can also request a new dog bin or report damage to one here

Stray dogs

If you find a stray dog and you can’t contact the owner you must report it to your local council.

The RSPCA will not attend to collect stray dogs but will respond to an animal in distress or to a report of cruelty. Visit their website here.

  • To report a lost dog in Darlington, or report a stray dog, click here
  • To report a lost dog in County Durham, or report a stray dog, click here. 

Welfare of an animal

The RSPCA will respond to reports of animal cruelty and animals in distress. If the RSPCA need a police presence to deal with reports of animal cruelty or distress then they will contact us directly.

If you see animal experiencing cruelty or in distress please report it online or call 0300 1234 999. 

Dogs left in hot vehicles

If you have an immediate concern over an animal left in a hot vehicle please call 101. Details such as the location and vehicle information will be required so where it is possible and safe to do so please make the report from the scene of the incident.

Wildlife and rural crime

For information on our work to tackle wildlife and rural crime, click here