alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content
Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies

Are you deaf, hard-of-hearing or speech impaired?

In an emergency

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can register for the 999 Emergency SMS Service that allows you to text the police in an emergency from your mobile phone.

This service works throughout the UK on all mobile networks, but it cannot be used from abroad.

You have to be registered to use this SMS service. Simply text 'register' from your mobile phone to 999 and follow the instructions. For more information visit

Remember, this is an emergency service and must only be used in an emergency as below:

  • Someone’s life is at risk
  • A crime is happening now
  • Someone is injured or threatened
  • There is a fire or people are trapped
  • You need an ambulance urgently
  • Someone is in trouble on the cliffs, on the shoreline or is missing at sea.

The emergency service will either ask for more information or will tell you that help is on the way. Don’t assume that your message has been received until the emergency service sends a message back. It will usually take about two minutes before you get a reply. If you don’t get a reply within three minutes, please try again or find other ways of getting help.

Not an emergency

If you wish to speak to the police but it is not an emergency, please contact us by using textphone 18001 101.

Use textphone 18001 101 if:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing
  • You want to report a minor traffic collision
  • You want to give the police information about crime in their area
  • You want to talk to your local Neighbourhood Policing Team or officer