Property Marking

Durham Constabulary no longer takes reports of lost property. However, there are quick and easy ways to register your loss.

To report general lost property, report it via the links below, however for more specific items please check out the poster for details of what to do.

You can report any loss at a number of places online: – free service – free service – there is a charge for this service but users do receive a numbered ownership certificate, confirming details of the loss

Where your item is serial numbered, we recommend that you register at free of charge.  This will help the police if your property is ever stolen. 

For pedal cycles, it is recommended you register and report them lost at

Details of losses reported via these methods are made available to Police forces across the UK.  This ensures the best chance of being reunited with your property.


If you think you have lost your property in a public place/premises or on public transport, such as

·         Licensed premises (pubs, bars, nightclubs)

·         Private premises (house, hotel, hostel)

·         Business premises (restaurants, shops, supermarkets, offices, entertainment venues)

·         Educational premises (schools, universities, colleges)

·         Public transport (trains, buses, trams)

·         Taxis (including Private Hire vehicles)

·         Airport


You should make direct contact as they often operate their own lost and found property service and are better placed to deal with your enquiry.​