Community Trigger

Responding to and tackling anti-social behaviour and hate motivated incidents are a top priority for County Durham and Darlington. We have strong procedures which allow the police, council, housing providers, other organisations and communities to work in partnership with each other to tackle anti-social behaviour and hate incidents.

We want to make sure we get it right first time, but recognise that sometimes we don’t.

What is Community Trigger?

The community trigger gives victims and communities the right to expect action is taken where an ongoing problem has not been addressed. It helps us and you by making sure that no-one suffering the harmful effects of anti-social behaviour and hate crime falls through the net. 
 It will also ensure that all that can be done is being done.

When can I use Community Trigger?

When you have reported three separate incidents relating to the same problem in the past six months to the Council, Police or your landlord, the problem persists because of no or inadequate response from agencies and you feel ignored by agencies.

You reported one incident or crime motivated by hate (due to race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity, age, sex, marriage/civil partnership and pregnancy or maternity) in the last six months The problem still persists because of no or inadequate response from agencies and you feel ignored by agencies.

At least five people have made reports about the same problem in the past six months to the Council, Police or your landlord The problem persists because of no or inadequate response from agencies and the victims feels ignored by agencies.

Who can use Community Trigger?
Anyone can use the Community Trigger if their concern is about anti-social behaviour or a hate incident / crime and meets the criteria below.
In any other situation, the local agencies may take into account the persistence, harm or potential harm caused by the anti-social behaviour or the adequacy of the response from agencies.


When is Community Trigger not appropriate?

If someone has reported Anti-Social Behaviour and received a service but the problems and the investigation are on-going; you will be asked to contact the agency you are working with to tell them what is happening.

If someone has reported Anti Social Behaviour and received a service but they are unhappy with the service received or action taken; you will be advised to submit a complaint under the agency’s complaints procedures.

How do I use the Community Trigger?

If you have reported Anti-Social Behaviour and you feel that the problem persists because of no or inadequate response from agencies and you feel ignored, tell us about it under the Community Trigger.

If you think that your issue or concern is relevant to the Community Trigger and meets the criteria please download and complete the attached  PDF document and send by email to  : 

PLEASE NOTE  - to complete the form click on the link to open the pdf document then save it to your computer and then close the PDF link> Open the saved PDF document from your computer > Click on the pen and paper Icon (third icon on top left of screen) for - "sign, add text or send a document for signature" > This will bring up an additional menu on the right-hand side of the screen headed “I need to sign” > Click on the option “ T Add Text”. You can then click within the document and type in all the details. You must then save the changes you have made to the document. You can then email the completed document to us as an attachment. 

By phone 101 – QUOTING Community Trigger - (Please note you will not be able to discuss your case with the operator but a message will be passed to the Safer Neighbourhood Unit). 


What will happen next?

If the trigger criteria is met, those agencies to whom the Anti-Social Behaviour reports have been made ( this may include Police, Council Or Registered Social Landlord) will meet to review their responses and consider how the problem could be better resolved.

A response will be sent to the reporting person detailing actions taken and if necessary offering suggestions as to how the multi-agency partnerships can attempt to resolve the Anti-Social Behaviour.

If the customer is unhappy with the Community Trigger response they can request a further review from the Chief Officer of Community Safety.

If I can’t use this service to assist me where else can I go?

If this is the first time you are reporting this issue or concern, you can report it by contacting:


Durham Constabulary  on 101. In an emergency always call 999.
For more information visit - Anti-social behaviour (ASB) and Hate incidents


The Durham Constabulary “Your Report Our Response” leaflet sets out details of what you can expect when you report Anti-social behaviour.

Reporting anti-social behaviour directly to your housing office or housing association, if you are a tenant of a social landlord.

There are also a range of things you can report direct to Durham County Council including


Abandoned Vehicles


Dog fouling  



I’m not sure I want to report my concern at the moment, is there anything else I can do?

Sometimes simply talking to a neighbour or someone else in your community or your local Neighbourhood Watch group about your concerns can help.





You could also raise your concern at your Local PACT meeting (Police and Communities Together) or Community Residents Association meeting. Your neighbourhood police officer, police community support officer or community safety officer will often be at these meetings.