Abandoned vehicles

If a vehicle has appeared on your road which appears damaged, broken into, or is blocking access to your driveway/property, in the first instance we would advise that you make enquiries with neighbours to see if anyone knows who owns the vehicle.
If no one knows who owns the vehicle and there is damage, please call 101 to report it to the police. 

If there is no damage to it you can contact either – 

 Durham County Council 


Darlington Borough Council Abandoned vehicles 

who will be able to make further enquiries. They will ask you for the make, model and registration of the vehicle and will make an assessment to see if the vehicle is eligible for removal.

If you have seen a vehicle on a public road that you suspect is untaxed, then you can check if it is taxed before you report it online  to the DVLA. You will also need the vehicle registration number, make, model and colour of the vehicle and the street name, town and postcode where the vehicle is parked. You won’t be able to report the vehicle without these details.