How to Help the Police

Reporting a Non-emergency Incident

A crime is doing something that is against the law. The law is a set of rules to keep us safe and protect us. If people do things that break the law then you can help to do something about it.

In the case of a non-emergency incident dial 101

Examples of a non-emergency incidents; a stolen car, damage to property, or to give the police some information about a crime in your community.


Report a crime

In an emergency dial 999

When should we use this number?

You should call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

To contact the police for any other reason, call 101.