alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content
Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies

What is the scheme?

The aim of the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS) is to give you a formal mechanism to make enquiries about your partner if you are worried that they may have been abusive in the past.

It also allows a person to enquire about an ex-partner, if concerned about their own safety, when no longer in the relationship. If police checks show that your partner or ex-partner has a record of abusive behaviour, or there is other information to indicate that you may be at risk from your partner, the police will consider sharing this information with you.

The scheme aims to help you to make a more informed decision on whether to continue a relationship, and provides further help and support to assist you when making that choice.

To find out more about the scheme, click here

Who can ask for disclosure?

You can make an application about your partner or ex-partner if you have a concern that they may harm you.

Any concerned third party, such as your parent, neighbour or friend can also make an application if they are concerned about you.

However, a third-party person making an application must include details of the potential victim when making their request - this includes their contact details.  

How can I make an application?

Click here to make a Clare's Law application.

You can also:

  • Visit a police station
  • Call us on the non-emergency 101 number
  • Use our 101 Live Chat