alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content
Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies

The Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme, also known as Sarah’s Law, lets you formally ask the police whether someone who has contact with a child or children:

  • Has a record for child sexual offences
  • Poses a risk to a child or children for some other reason

If you’re worried about someone’s behaviour towards a child, or something you’ve seen, heard, or been told, you can use Sarah’s Law to find out if that person is a risk.

Who can apply?

Parents, carers, guardians, extended family, friends, neighbours or anyone who looks out for the welfare of a child.

Anyone can register a child protection interest where they have concerns about a named individual who cares for or has access to a named child. For example, it could be a new partner who is living or staying in the same house as the child.

This scheme does not replace existing arrangements for the Safeguarding Children Procedures. If you are enquiring about someone you wish to employ or already employ, then it is more appropriate you should undertake a full Disclosure and Barring Service Check (DBS) please visit the webpages for further information.

When is a disclosure made?

Where the individual has previous convictions for child sex offences and is considered a risk to the child concerned, relevant information may be given to the person best placed to protect the child. This is usually a parent, carer or guardian, who needs to know the information in order to keep the child safe.

Any member of the public can apply for information about an individual if they are concerned, but disclosure will only be given to the person best placed to protect the child. Therefore, the person making the application may not be told the outcomes of the investigation.

Under the scheme, any disclosure remains a decision for the police in consultation with relevant partner agencies. Disclosure cannot be guaranteed in all cases. All disclosures must be lawful, proportionate and necessary to protect a child from the risk of significant harm.

To find out more about the scheme, click here.

How can I make an application?

Click here to make a Sarah’s Law application.

You can also:

  • Visit a police station
  • Call us on 101
  • Contact us on 101 Live Chat