In this section

 Jail for man who assaulted PCSOs


​A man who tried to choke a Police Community Support Officer and kicked another in the legs has been jailed.

PCSOs Ian McKenna and Julie Brown were the first on scene at a one-vehicle collision involving a Vauxhall Corsa, which happened on the Kaysburn roundabout, near Witton Gilbert, on June 2 this year. 

As they approached the scene, the driver of the car, Brogan Stubbs, attempted to run off but was apprehended by PCSO McKenna who brought him back to the marked police van.

After being placed in the rear cage of the van, Stubbs attempted to light a cigarette. He was repeatedly told he could not and became more uncooperative and aggressive.

Due to his behaviour, the officers attempted to remove Stubbs from the cage. He then grabbed hold of PCSO McKenna’s throat and the pair fell to the floor during the struggle.

As she was attempting to pull Stubbs off her colleague, PCSO Brown was also kicked in the legs several times by the suspect.

He was eventually arrested after backup officers arrived on scene, and was charged with two counts of assaulting an emergency services worker and one count of failing to provide a breath specimen.

The 22-year-old, of Clarence Close, Newton Aycliffe, appeared at Durham Crown Court yesterday (October 29) where he was jailed for 23 months after pleading guilty to the offences, which also put him in breach of a previously imposed suspended sentence.

Inspector Keith Wardle, from Consett Neighbourhood Police Team, said: “Durham Constabulary take an extremely robust stance towards anyone who assaults their staff acting in the course of their duties.

“Assaults against police and emergency services workers are completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated - being assaulted during the execution of your duty should never be considered as part of the job.

“The two PCSOs who initially came across Stubbs were not in possession of any handcuffs or incapacitant spray, they have used their communication skills initially to retain Stubbs at the scene and have restrained him when they were being attacked until police officers arrived.

“I would like to commend the officers who were assaulted for the way they acted with professionalism and bravery throughout this incident. Fortunately neither suffered any serious injury following the incident.

“The sentence handed down at Durham Crown Court demonstrates that courts take assaults on emergency service works seriously.”